- Jacket: I know it's hot now, but there will be cool summer nights when you'll need a jacket or something on your arms. Try a lightweight bomber style in a solid bright or neutral color, or layer a long sleeve denim shirt and pass it off as a cool cover up.
- Denim shorts: Yes, I know we were taught to just take our pants and cut them into denim shorts and while that is still Ok, step your game up in a pair of premium denim fashion shorts. Try a distressed pair with rips, tears and holes that looks DIY (I won't tell a soul that you did not spend hours with the scissors and razor blades lol)
- Polo shirt: Classic style for when a tee just won't cut it and a button up is too much. Get a few in several different colors and prints and make sure they are close to the body for a modern fit.
- Shades: You know you will need a pair of sunglasses, so invest in a good pair! Wayfarer styles are popular for a reason because they fit every face shape and look cool on every person who puts them on.
- Belt: Sometimes you need the flashy designer belt- most times you don't. So get you a basic black or brown leather belt (bonus points if it's reversible!)
- Swim trucks: Get a festive pair of swim trunks in a bright print that will look good with your tee and tennis shoes or slides and that you can also go to lunch in. Cause swimming makes you hungry...or is that just me lol?
- Watch: Be a stylish techie with a smart watch that goes with everything. Besides, there is nothing sexier than asking a man for the time and he flicks his wrist instead of looking at his cellphone. Yaaaas Zaddy!
- Sneakers: I don't care what you get, just something other than Jordan's. IMHO Jordan's are like Uggs- yeah they serve their purpose and they are cute I guess- but they are so damn basic and EVERYBODY and literally their mama has a pair. Be different!
- Fashion Tee: The camo pocket stops this t-shirt from being boring. Find a tee with faux leather sleeves, or a printed pocket- anything that makes it stand out from the sea of plain colored ones that will flood the market this summer.
- Jeans: Get you a perfect pair of denim jeans that will go with everything you wear. Make them plain so they can go with all the shirts you plan on wearing, and then get you a few "fashion" pair.
- Denim shirt: Long sleeve or short sleeve, a denim shirt is the summer equivalent of a white tee or denim jacket, meaning it will go perfectly with everything in your closet and make you look cool as hell.
- Boat shoes: You need a pair of casual shoes in your closet and boat shoes come in all sorts of colors and patterns that look good with jeans and pants, but look absolutely amazing when worn with a pair of khaki shorts and a button down. Classic preppy look completed and without much effort...
- Bright print button down: Button downs are cheap and versatile enough that you can purchase several different colors and prints so why not go all out with a wild print shirt and pair it with jeans, or even your khakis for an unexpected but stylish look.
- Dark chinos: Summer time is graduation and wedding season and you will need a nice pair of comfortable slacks to get you through. Dark chinos will look good with everything from a long sleeve button down, to a graphic tee and jacket. Get a slim fit to keep the silhouette current.
- Short sleeve button down: You will have to "look nice" at some point during the summer (and if not then you need new friends or to hang out at better places!) and a short sleeve button up is perfect for those day parties and brunches you attend, because nobody wants to see giant sweat rings under your arms while you dabbin'.
- Sandals: Get you the updated version of the Gucci flip flop and see what happens lol... Too out there for you? Well you still need a pair of stylish sandals to let them toes breathe honey! Find them and wear them, but not before making sure that your toes are in tip top shape!
- Graphic tee: You need a few everyday t-shirts to throw on and why not make it a fun tongue in chic one? You need at least five tee shirts (not including a handful of pristine white tees) so make them worth it!
- Khaki shorts: Classic for a reason because they will go with everything above- from tee shirts, denim shirts, button downs and everything in between. Don't limit your self to this color, get a pair in olive green, navy and black too!
- Backpack: You need a way to carry all of your stuff and what better way than with a grown up backpack? They come in so many styles and colors that it almost doesn't matter which one you choose, just make sure you have enough space and small pockets for cellphone, keys, lunch, hoverboard... wait let's top there cause you don't want to be overstuffed lol.
- A hat: (Not pictured) Whether you have a bald head, Mohawk, Dreadlocks, braids or a fade-find a good summer hat to protect yourself (and your hair or scalp) from the sun's harsh rays.
It's summer time and you know what that means! Lighter, bolder hot weather fashion choices that will keep you fly all season long. Now is the perfect time to break out of your tried and true jeans and Jordan's and try something new- this style guide will help you dress for the summer whether on land, in a boat or anywhere in between.
Badgirl Riri and Dior are back at it again! The Bajan powerhouse and the French fashion house have collaborated for the second time- this time on a collection of futuristic sunglasses. Though the brand is still without a designer (Raf Simmons has not yet been replaced) Rihanna is the first ambassador ever to hold a design position and was entirely hands on with the process choosing materials, lenses and colors among other things. In a statement provided by Dior via WWD the singer admits to being inspired by La Forge from "Star Trek"
“I’ve always been obsessed with his eyewear, and when I got to Dior and saw all the materials I could play with, it all just came together,” she said.
The results are definitely Rihanna style- so much so that the collection has been named 'Rihanna'. Sold exclusively at Dior stores beginning in June, there is one frame available with six color variations: silver, green, pink and blue and will retail for $840 while the 24 karat gold plated version will go for $1,950...#bitchbettahavemymoney or I'll never afford a pair lol.
But if you find yourself trying to work work work work work so you can throw gold plated shade like Riri and come up short- no worries, maybe you can afford a pair of heels or boots from her Manolo Blahnik capsule- no no Manolo? Well there is her Fenty ready to wear collection and shoes, or spritz one of her fragrances on- oh and don't forget the socks collaboration with Stance, and the makeup line that is coming soon... I mean dang- can your favorite sell music, fashion, beauty, style aaand socks? Lol... Peep the slideshow below for a closer look at Rihanna's frames.
90's television was so inspirational. Style wise at least, and one of my faves was Lisa Turtle- played by Lark Voorhies on Saved by the Bell- the fashionista of the group of high school misfits at California's fictional Bayside High. Lisa was also seen rocking the most girly, stylish outfits that included florals, animal prints and bright colors that are on trend today and her looks were never too over the top or too revealing (mainly because Voorhies was a stout Jehovah's Witness) With all the Hollywood remakes out now, I started wondering how would Lisa dress if the show were remade today? She would still be a trendsetter no doubt, but in today's constantly sexed up society I believe her look would be a little more on edge and a bit more Instagram ready.
1. To update the first look I used a dark floral mini dress and denim jacket to take the place of that off the shoulder, sweetheart neckline, denim bodice and floral arm puff/ruffle skirt that is sweet as Truvia but had too many style elements going on at once. Add a pair of fringe sandals for a casual cool look that is totally Turtle.
2. Lisa's leopard print mini dress, belt and oversize bomber jacket are bomb no lie- so I just tightened up the silhouette with a two piece leopard print crop top and skirt set and a form fitting black and white bomber. The red Micheal Jackson style booties with the black contrast trim just adds a little more excitement and drama to the whole look.
3. The final look is simple, and anything but basic with Lisa rocking an embellished black t- shirt, animal print belt and a pair of red jeans. I used a plain black tee and red jeans to make the outfit current, but added the bold accessories to make this look pop. A gold chain, red and gold bangles and two different animal printed tote bag and zebra flats. Style level elevated!
What would you put Lisa Turtle in if her character was re-imagined for today? What other stylish fictional television star would you like to see a character study of?
In case you missed it: Lupita Nyong'o checked the shit out of Vogue.com in an educational, classy way after a post went up claiming that the star's Met Gala sculptural hairdo was inspired by Audrey Hepburn (of all people!). Nyong'o was like bitch please and quickly responded via a nice clapback on her Instagram page showcasing photos of her true hair hair inspirations. Now here's the shade- Vogue's own Andre Leon Talley actually interviewed Nyong'o on the red carpet and she explained being inspired by “the sculptural hairdos from all around the continent"; the video was posted on vogue.com so wtf was the journalist thinking?!
It's almost laughable if it wasn't so insulting to the cultural aspect of black women and our hair. This is deeper than calling cornrows "boxer braids" and editorial dashikis. First of all this is what happens when mainstream magazines don't hire black, Native American, Latina or any other writers of color to add a culturally diverse voice to their publications. When you are not allowed or given a platform to write/tell your own story, then others will do it for you, get it wrong, add their own input and leave out crucial information and have the masses thinking that it is the truth *cough cough- history books*. And even still it is so irresponsible of a journalists to not do the research and fact check for themselves when information is out there and readily available for everybody to see. This is white washing and lazy journalism all in one failed post and so surprisingly disrespectful of 'Vogue' who, in my personal opinion lost all credibility with that damn Kim K cover a while back smh...
So in honor of 'Vogue's' embarrassing Lupita Nyong'o's Met Gala hair inspiration gaffe I dug up this video from (you guessed it!) vogue.com of Nyongo' braiding the heads of her homegirls that I was waiting to post as a throwback Thursday, but I feel that it is important to watch right now...
Today's throwback is from 'Vogue' who produced a short video of actress Lupita Nyong'o braiding the heads of six of her closest friends! Not only is it inexplicably calming to watch, but it also feels so familiar and like you were next in line to get twisted by the beautiful Nyong'o. At least that's how I felt lol. It brought back real memories of sitting in between my mom's legs on a floor pillow that never had enough cushion with a comb, brush and hair grease in my hand as she pulled and yanked at my thick hair and created all types of patterns and a maze of cornrows that lasted for a few weeks at a time.
Of course once I got older I allowed my girlfriends to add extensions to waist length braids and cornrows and twists all while gossiping and plotting our next moves. Braiding is storytelling- the actual act of it and the event itself cause that's when your stylist has you in an awkward neck straining position for the next one to twelve hours, depending on the style you sat down for. I love when traditions are shared and explained to others in a way of show and tell and this video does that. I also loved what Lupita smooth voiced self had to say:
“Braiding just tells a story…Your hair is your frame, if you jack someone’s hair up, the world sees it. For me, braiding hair is an intimate thing. It’s getting up close and personal and I like to do it for people that I know and love and trust.”
Which is right on the money cause ain't nobody just putting their hands and bad energy all in my head lol!
About the Blog
The main goal of this blog is to connect my readers to everything dope, fresh and stylish- All the Fly Things.
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies