- Jacket: I know it's hot now, but there will be cool summer nights when you'll need a jacket or something on your arms. Try a lightweight bomber style in a solid bright or neutral color, or layer a long sleeve denim shirt and pass it off as a cool cover up.
- Denim shorts: Yes, I know we were taught to just take our pants and cut them into denim shorts and while that is still Ok, step your game up in a pair of premium denim fashion shorts. Try a distressed pair with rips, tears and holes that looks DIY (I won't tell a soul that you did not spend hours with the scissors and razor blades lol)
- Polo shirt: Classic style for when a tee just won't cut it and a button up is too much. Get a few in several different colors and prints and make sure they are close to the body for a modern fit.
- Shades: You know you will need a pair of sunglasses, so invest in a good pair! Wayfarer styles are popular for a reason because they fit every face shape and look cool on every person who puts them on.
- Belt: Sometimes you need the flashy designer belt- most times you don't. So get you a basic black or brown leather belt (bonus points if it's reversible!)
- Swim trucks: Get a festive pair of swim trunks in a bright print that will look good with your tee and tennis shoes or slides and that you can also go to lunch in. Cause swimming makes you hungry...or is that just me lol?
- Watch: Be a stylish techie with a smart watch that goes with everything. Besides, there is nothing sexier than asking a man for the time and he flicks his wrist instead of looking at his cellphone. Yaaaas Zaddy!
- Sneakers: I don't care what you get, just something other than Jordan's. IMHO Jordan's are like Uggs- yeah they serve their purpose and they are cute I guess- but they are so damn basic and EVERYBODY and literally their mama has a pair. Be different!
- Fashion Tee: The camo pocket stops this t-shirt from being boring. Find a tee with faux leather sleeves, or a printed pocket- anything that makes it stand out from the sea of plain colored ones that will flood the market this summer.
- Jeans: Get you a perfect pair of denim jeans that will go with everything you wear. Make them plain so they can go with all the shirts you plan on wearing, and then get you a few "fashion" pair.
- Denim shirt: Long sleeve or short sleeve, a denim shirt is the summer equivalent of a white tee or denim jacket, meaning it will go perfectly with everything in your closet and make you look cool as hell.
- Boat shoes: You need a pair of casual shoes in your closet and boat shoes come in all sorts of colors and patterns that look good with jeans and pants, but look absolutely amazing when worn with a pair of khaki shorts and a button down. Classic preppy look completed and without much effort...
- Bright print button down: Button downs are cheap and versatile enough that you can purchase several different colors and prints so why not go all out with a wild print shirt and pair it with jeans, or even your khakis for an unexpected but stylish look.
- Dark chinos: Summer time is graduation and wedding season and you will need a nice pair of comfortable slacks to get you through. Dark chinos will look good with everything from a long sleeve button down, to a graphic tee and jacket. Get a slim fit to keep the silhouette current.
- Short sleeve button down: You will have to "look nice" at some point during the summer (and if not then you need new friends or to hang out at better places!) and a short sleeve button up is perfect for those day parties and brunches you attend, because nobody wants to see giant sweat rings under your arms while you dabbin'.
- Sandals: Get you the updated version of the Gucci flip flop and see what happens lol... Too out there for you? Well you still need a pair of stylish sandals to let them toes breathe honey! Find them and wear them, but not before making sure that your toes are in tip top shape!
- Graphic tee: You need a few everyday t-shirts to throw on and why not make it a fun tongue in chic one? You need at least five tee shirts (not including a handful of pristine white tees) so make them worth it!
- Khaki shorts: Classic for a reason because they will go with everything above- from tee shirts, denim shirts, button downs and everything in between. Don't limit your self to this color, get a pair in olive green, navy and black too!
- Backpack: You need a way to carry all of your stuff and what better way than with a grown up backpack? They come in so many styles and colors that it almost doesn't matter which one you choose, just make sure you have enough space and small pockets for cellphone, keys, lunch, hoverboard... wait let's top there cause you don't want to be overstuffed lol.
- A hat: (Not pictured) Whether you have a bald head, Mohawk, Dreadlocks, braids or a fade-find a good summer hat to protect yourself (and your hair or scalp) from the sun's harsh rays.
It's summer time and you know what that means! Lighter, bolder hot weather fashion choices that will keep you fly all season long. Now is the perfect time to break out of your tried and true jeans and Jordan's and try something new- this style guide will help you dress for the summer whether on land, in a boat or anywhere in between.
fashion and style news
About the Blog
I live for fashion and style, but I also love telling stories! I figured out a way to combine my passions through my blog by posting original content with a fashion and style slant. You will find outfit inspiration, shopping tips and style tricks to help you look your best and to push yourself to try new things. I also take you along for my FlyGirl Chronicles adventures. My main goal is to connect my readers to everything fresh, dope and stylish and to make sure you know All the Fly Things!